Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Need to Complete

I had an urge to work with needles larger than the size 5 on Tulip, so I picked up my cabled scarf and realized I could finish it while watching our Saturday night movie (which was Breach, about the US's most dangerous spy... not bad). It felt good to finish.

The story of this scarf: My mom took me to her new yarn shop in Burnet that a few ladies opened to provide the other knitters in the area another option besides WalMart. I made the mistake of picking up this Baby Alpaca Grande.... oh my. I could not walk away. It's so soft. It's so pretty. It's BURNT ORANGE (hook 'em). But, at $14 a skein I really couldn't justify the cost of all the skeins it would take to make a sweater, at least not impulsively. Plus, I've made a sweater with bulky yarn and, well, never again. Anyway, the yarn simply would not stay at the store, so I picked up two skeins to make a scarf for the one UT game when it might be cold enough to wear a scarf.

So, I'm not sure if the pattern works. I need to try blocking it with the steaming because it has a tendancy to roll inward. But, if you want to give it a try, here goes: (I've never written a pattern before, btw. Hope it works out.)

Simple Cabled Scarf

CO 20
K 4 rows
Row 5: K3, P4, K6, P4, K3
Row 6: K7, P6, K7
Repeat Rows 5&6 2 times (if you like a longer stretch between twists to your cable, repeat 3 times or more)
Row 11: K3, P4, Place 3 stitches on cable needle and hold to back , K3, Knit 3 off cable needle, P4, K3
Repeat rows 5-11 until scarf is desired length.
Knit last 4 rows.
BO.


Hanging the scarf on the fireplace makes me long cold snaps in the fall, wearing browns and boots, snuggling up under a blanket.... But, I'm not complaining! It's only 94 and no 100 degrees days in sight! I swear, I'm not complaining!

No comments: