Thursday, July 12, 2007

Knitting Book Review!

It's not a knitting pattern book, a fictional book "centered" around knitting.

Here's my review of The Friday Night Knitting Club.

eh.

Without offending anyone (btw, that's one of my blogging goals. a lot of blogs are really just whining and griping. not mine!)... do you like Julia Roberts movies? Yes? You will like this book. It is a 'chick flick' book. Rumor has it, that fellow knitter Julia is making a movie based on this book. So, there you have it.

For some reason, I tend to like weird, dark books that stick with you, sometimes haunt you for days, weeks, years. My favorite author is Margaret Atwood. Beyond the famous The Handmaid's Tale, go read The Robber Bride. Go read The Blind Assassin. Go read Oryx and Crake. (You will never think about chicken nuggets in the same way again.) I don't really know why, I'm generally a happy person, my childhood was not troubled, I just dig her books and others that have so much that you want to and need to read again and again. I had some pretty awesome English teachers in high school, so maybe they just ingrained in me that books should have something deeper... But, I feel I don't have the capacity to write well myself at this late hour so I will stop. But, here's a shout-out (am I too old to say "shout-out"?) to Mrs. Martensen, Mrs. Jensen and the others whose names escape me tonight. English teachers rock.

Maybe I'll go pick up The Handmaid's Tale and see how it reads after becoming a mom...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading a book called The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood. Honestly, I started it for the snooty/superior reason of wanting to catch her making mistakes when describing knitting techniques. With the exception of a few discrepancies, however, she usually nails it. (I wonder if this is the result of good research or a working knowledge of knitting. I tend to think it's the former, because the things she gets wrong are head-scratchers. There's a million percent chance that multiple knitter-blogger/list-posters have long since investigated her background and I've just missed that boat. She doesn't identify herself as a knitter in her bio, I see.)

It's pretty lite reading. I am engaged, which is important, but the plot has some pretty implausible moments in the midst of some pretty natural moments. All in all I will enjoy it and probably forget it before I cast on for my next socks...